Friday, December 7, 2007

Marcus Rothkowitz

More commonly known as Mark Rothko, is an artist that I am currently studying in my American Art class. He didn't always paint abstract expressionistic paintings, but they definitely made him very famous. His paintings, he felt, were painted entirely with emotion and feeling, not with form, function, and realism like most famous paintings were. He felt that the most effective paintings were the ones painted with feeling. I am trying to express his personality, but can't effectively. Here are some of his more famous quotes:

"I’m not an abstractionist. I’m not interested in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I’m interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on."

"
The fact that people break down and cry when confronted with my pictures shows that I can communicate those basic human emotions.. the people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience I had when painting them. And if you say you are moved only by their color relationships then you miss the point."

Our class blew up his paintings on a projector and we spend a few minutes pondering over many of his paintings, taking extra notice of how his paintings affected us. Here are some of my favorites.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin