Sunday, October 19, 2008

The last of my Intaglio

My intaglio class is only a block class (meaning it lasts only half of a semester) and so I'm turning in my final project tomorrow in class.  Here's what I have done since the last intaglio post.

This was my third project.  It was done using a technique called mezzotint.  Mezzotint is done by creating a TON of texture (ideally a solid, velvet, deep black when printed) and then a design is burnished (smoothing out the texture to create light areas) into the texture.  This is an EXTREMELY labor-intensive technique.  I didn't put as much preliminary texture on the plate as I should have before I started burnishing.  I only did about 4-5 hours of putting texture on it.  My teacher recommended 8-10 hours.  Because of that, my black isn't as black as it should and could have been.
The printed design is 4 x 4 inches.

This is my final project and I was supposed to make something that had at least two techniques combined.  In this piece, I used four: aquatint (the gray background and the stopped-out flourishes), line etching (the distressed scratches are on purpose), dry-point (the original "snowflakes" and other smaller detail that is virtually impossible to see), and electric engraving (the deep black "snowflakes").  I wish my mezzotint project would have been as dark as those "snowflakes."  They weren't supposed to be snowflakes, they were actually designs that I saw in Indian designs in architecture, but they look a lot like snowflakes.
I really love this piece. It's printing size is 6 x 9 inches, my biggest piece.

2 comments:

The Osborne Family said...

That is REALLY neat!!!

Carrie said...

You are so talented! Good luck on your next class! I am looking forward to seeing what you create.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin