Saturday, October 4, 2008

A little bit of intaglio

I'm taking an Intaglio class. I've never taken any print making classes before, but I LOVE it. Intaglio is a type of printmaking done by scratching, engraving, or etching into a copper plate. Once the desired depth of the line is created, ink is spread on the plate, forcing it into the lines on the plate. Then, wet paper is placed on the plate and rolled between two calendar rollers, pressing the ink in the lines to adhere to the paper.
Here are my first two assignments:
This was a simple line etching assignment. Here are two images of the copper plate. The lines can be seen a little clearer in the second picture.
And here's what it looked like once it was printed.
This was my second assignment. It was using the technique called Aquatint, a method used to get large areas of the plate to have an even tone. You can see the different values in the skin, leotard, hair, and the cat. It was a pretty whimsical piece, and I've grown to love it a lot. I've lost my plate, so I don't have a photo of it. Too bad, because I wanted to rework the plate some more...

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow! I love the first one!

Jon-Thomas said...

i really like this one

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin