Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My First Attempt at Oil Painting

While I was required to take an oil painting class, I was very much looking forward to it, mostly because I have never had the opportunity to use oil paints before.  Everyone I have talked to who has tried oil paints prefers them and said "oh, you'll just LOVE them!"  In fact, I do not.  I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I only had a few condensed and crazy weeks to become familiar with them, and that they are so completely different than any other paint I've ever used.  Another thing that might have played into it, most of the assignments were realistically-based, and I've found that I'm so much more of an abstract painter than I ever thought I was.
Well, I made just a handful of paintings before the class was over, and I am only willing to show you two of them.  I really really like the first one, and the second one is pretty good (I think) considering it's a glass sphere and insanely hard to paint.  Here they are:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin