Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mini Tour around the Ceramics Classroom

I just finished a ceramics class. It was fun, but too short (it was only 1/2 a semester long).  We had a few projects, most of which are less then mediocre and therefore will not be shown to anyone ever.
Our work space:

The thing on the right is my piece. Here it is after I put an iron oxcide on it. Then I put the glaze over the iron oxcide.  The iron oxcide is to create depth and variety, showing off my texture.


My piece is in the kiln, ready to be glaze fired. It's on the bottom right, that gray blob.


My finished piece. It was supposed to come out a purple-blue, but due to some unforeseen and uncontrollable circumstances, too much oxygen was let out of the kiln while firing, and no one's glazes came out the colors they were supposed to. It's kind of unfortunate, but it was nice knowing that everyone's came out wrong. Mine wasn't too bad, I don't think. It's still pretty interesting.

For the assignment, we were supposed to create a piece that is at least 20 inches tall and inspired by an organic object. My inspiration was a peach pit. See it? Kinda?



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin