Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sketchbook

Remember that pesky sketchbook assignment that practically made me crazy? Well, I got it done and turned it in.  Inside the sketchbooks, each of us had to follow the class rule (at least 1/2 figure per spread) and then we each had to come up with 3 rules for ourselves.  My rules were:
1. All the colors had to be part of muted color schemes.  Every color was mixed with it's complimentary to created a slightly/extremely unsaturated version of the color.
2. I had to incorporate some sort of pattern on each spread. I usually took them from the clothes of the person in the picture, or someone else in the picture and then ran with it.
3. I had to use some sort of ink.  I used calligraphy ink in a fine-tipped quill to create most of my lines.

Some unofficial rules:
-I had to use watercolor
-I didn't spend more than 10 minutes on a page at one time. Some of the pages I went back to once the paint was dry, but most of them were between 5-10 minutes start-to-finish.  (While it was a cool idea, it really evolved because of the INSANE time constraint.  I had to give myself a time limit so I could finish the book on time.)

Here's a picture of what the outside of the sketchbook pages look like.  I must say that this is an inclination of whether the inside of the book will be exciting or not, and besides, it's pretty cool!


Then, my teacher was so excited about everyone's work, he made up a new assignment on the spot-- We each have to pick one drawing from our sketchbook and blow it up to 22 x 30" and make it a mixed-media piece. I'm actually pretty excited about this project. I think it will be a lot of fun. So, here are some of my best pages from my sketchbook.  (You can click on any of the images to see them larger.)  Come back to see which one I make!






No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin