Friday, December 11, 2009

diptych

For the final project in our figure painting class, we had to do a diptych (a 2-piece painting).  One of the pieces had to include at least one full figure, and the other had to include at least part of a figure.  It's a bigger piece, 18x24 and 10x24 in acrylic on canvas. This is what I made.



I really wanted it to mean something to me, something that I might want to have in our home, maybe.  I chose to paint my baby boy on the one panel, and J and I on the other.  It might seem really cliche, but with it being a figurative assignment, I felt that my options were somewhat limited.

(close-ups)



Some think that the layers of dark brown and purple look a little too morbid, symbolizing death or mourning.  That wasn't my intention at all.  In fact, I know that I didn't want it white, so dark seemed like a logical solution.  There are lots of colors that are coming through the background because of the layers of paint that I sanded through.  In the future, I might re-work it some more, but this is how I turned it in.  What do you think? Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Craig & Jen said...

i am really impressed

Carrie said...

I don't think that it is morbid. The first think it reminded me of was graphic propaganda. Do you know what I mean? I can't describe it. Just very bold and eye catching. I knew what it was the moment I looked at it. I think it is really beautiful, especially the portrait of you and Justin.

Natalie said...

thanks guys. I really like the dark background...I think I'll keep it :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin