Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Mini Tour around the Lithography Classroom

Today was the final for my lithography class. I absolutely LOVED this class and I am soooo sad that I won't be able to take the Advanced Lithography class because I'll graduate before it's offered :(
Here is a little bit about how lithography works:

1. Have the image on a plate/limestone.  Roll up the ink.


2.  Roll up the plate with the roller, and keep the plate wet with a sponge.  Because the ink is oil-based, the water repels the ink (oil is hydrophobic), and keeps the plate clean where I don't want ink.  This is a monotype, it's like a monoprint, but because I can etch the image into a plate, I can edition it!


3.  Place paper over the inked-up image on the plate and run it through the press.   This press is different from a intaglio press because litho uses dragging pressure while intaglio used direct pressure.


4.  Pull the paper up and look at the image.


5.  This is a 2-plate registration piece, so I did steps 1-4 with a second plate and a second color.


6.  Hooray it's done!


I made this print for the final assignment in my class.  We did an exchange and the theme was "Tabernacle." I think I was the only one that did a picture of an actual temple, but in my defense, I planned on making this image for the 2nd assignment and decided not to, and it just fit too perfectly into the theme for the final.
I think it turned out really well. I'm excited to see everyone else's prints!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow, I learn so much from your blog. Be sure to show some samples of your other classmates pieces if you can. This is really fascinating

Natalie said...

great! I'm so glad that you enjoy it! I'll for sure post picture so of my classmate's work!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin