I picked up my finished sculptures today. It was an extremely fun class and I am glad that I was able to make some exciting sculptures.
First, my steel project found a new home.
Secondly, here is my finished bronze piece, with a stone base. The base was created from a piece cut off of the original stone sculpture, which makes it pretty interesting. It's a little tilted, but I can't fix that very easily now. It'll just have to stay that way. I ended up re-finishing the patina and added more of the green finish, and you can see it in the close-up.
Last (but NOT least, this time) is my stone sculpture. Made out of 9 pounds of alabaster, here are some step by step pictures of how it came to be. I found that chiseling really aggravated my tendinitis, making my hands swell. It took a VERY long time and it was pretty slow going, but fun nonetheless. Other than that, I really enjoyed it and I'd love to make more if I get the chance in the future. My teacher said that I should come back as a graduate student! We'll see...
1. rough chiseling with a pointed chisel. It's VERY dirty, haha! See the crack in it? It's actually a line of crystal embedded into the alabaster, but it's weaker than the rest of the stone. I had to be pretty careful that I didn't hit the stone too hard near it. One of my classmates had his stone break on him on the last day of class! Oh the horror! I feel sooooo badly for him.
4. sanding with masonry sandpaper and polishing.
Finished! I'm really happy with it, and J really likes it too! The stone is so beautiful. I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to polish it up, so I brought some sandpaper home to work on it in my spare time (spare time, haha!)
I really wanted some of everything on this sculpture, shiny polished, chisel marks, flat edge, concave, convex, and some natural stone. I think they meld together fairly well too. It doesn't look quite like the maquette, but close enough.