Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Specimen Book

For my letterpress class, we had to create a specimen book.  This was a VERY intense project, starting with making reed pens and creating two fonts.  Then we digitized our fonts.  Then we created an 8-page specimen book showing off our fonts.  We have been working on this book (though we didn't know it) since January.
I did the first 3/4 of the printing on the clam-shell here.  It was a LOT of hard work.  Here are some step-by-step pictures that I took on my phone while I was working.  The picture above is the ink beginning to spread out.  I thought the pattern was beautiful.  I was sending updates to J since I was at the studio until 3am.  I just wanted him to know that I was alright, haha.

It took a very long time to print, because of all the layers and four colors.  I am VERY glad to have it done.  I still need to bind the books (and this one isn't bound very well at all- I'm not a book binder), but other than that, they're done.

Now I can focus on my final project, which is going to be amazing, by the way.  Be excited. Seriously.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin