Thursday, August 12, 2010

Caterpillar Pull Toy

Whew!  I finally got my pictures off my camera, so here is one of the posts that you have been waiting for!  My son is just over a year old, and lately he has been dragging our shoes around by the shoelaces.  I looked it up and it seems that most toddlers enjoy pulling things around because they like to feel in control, like a leader.  So, I decided, after looking at the lack of pull toys out in the market and the outrageous prices of cute pull toys, that I would make him one myself.

I thought a little caterpillar would be so cute, so I went to our local craft store and picked up:
5 wooden spheres (of various sizes, ranging from one large, three medium, and one small)
1 one wooden dowel
1 bag (12) of wooden wheels
2 bags (of 6-10) metal eye-hooks
1 bag (4 or 6) wooden pegs - for the antenna
wood glue
acrylic wood paint

It's really simple, and not very hard at all.

1.  Paint the wooden parts, like the spheres, wheels, dowel, and pegs.  Paint it however you'd like; it's bound to be cute. Don't forget a fun little face!

2.  If you choose, you can drill holes through the spheres for the dowels to go through, but I used metal eye-hooks.  I found that the eye-hooks broke easily, so if I were to do it again, I'd drill through for more stability.

3.  Put on the antenna!  I found it easiest to drill a hole and glue the peg into the hole.
 
3.  At this time, I put a few clear coats of sealant over the each part so the paint would stay fresh and wouldn't be damaged very easily.  And they're shiny!


4.  Measure the diameter of each sphere and cut a dowel the length of the diameter, plus give a little extra for the thickness of the wheels.  Glue ONE wheel to the dowel.  We'll glue the second wheel later.


5.  While you're waiting for the glue to dry, screw the eye-hooks into the bottom of each sphere. I used two for stability.  I found it easier to screw in the hooks after a little hole had been drilled.

6. While you're at it, screw one eye-hook into the front of each sphere, and in the back of each but the last.  I learned the hard way, that you want each of the eye-hooks at about the same height, otherwise your caterpillar looks a little kinked when you're finished.

7.  After the glue sets, I put another drop of glue into the wheel hole for good measure.  Wait for it to set. Then place the dowel with one wheel through both of the eye-hooks on the bottom of each sphere.  Place the remaining wheel on the dowel and glue.  Come back in a few minutes to make sure the wheels are set correctly.

8.  Hook each sphere together via the eye-hooks.  You can either bend the hooks out and then around the other, or you can use a separate link.  Tie a ribbon in the front, and you're good to go!

1 comment:

Lydja said...

Are you kidding me? You came up with this? A-mazing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin