Monday, April 18, 2011

Quilting and Getting ready for Easter

It's been a while since I've made any quilts and I've definitely been feeling that itch.  I got some beautiful fabric for Christmas and I finally made an adorable little quilt from it.  It'd be perfect for a little girl! 
--Interested in having it for yourself?  It's not on etsy yet, but let me know.

Also, I have been wanting a new bedspread.  While I absolutely LOVE the one that I made when I got married, I'm just in need of a summer change.  I am using more fabric from my grandmother to make a visually lighter quilt for our bed.  I feel like I've been cutting fabric ALLL day, and now I'm ready for a break.  I'll get to sewing some other day. 

I try to sketch quilts out in my little graphing paper notebook.  While I could definitely do it from just in my head (like the little girl quilt above), I'm really really really bad at figuring out how much fabric and how many pieces I'll need for a big, queen-size quilt.  So I work very hard to get it as close to prefect as I can (I don't calculate in the seams and stuff, that's just too crazy) and then I go from there.  Usually it's pretty close, and it's fun to go back and look at all of the sketches I did for past quilts I've made.  I also have a quilt journal (keep a photo and info about each quilt I've made) that I love.  Do you keep a quilt journal?

Now I'm going to read for pleasure (I just started this fabulous book) and I've been boiling and blowing out eggs to get ready to decorate Easter eggs tonight with friends!  We've been reading from our own Easter Advent Book every night to prepare for Easter this Sunday.  I just love the history and symbolism of the holiday and the week preceding it.  What do you do to get ready for Easter?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I just found your blog from your etsy shop- I love the "For Time and All Eternity" print. I may order that one for my gallery wall that I'm putting together in our home. I love your work! I also got my BA in painting from BYU (2005). It's fun to find other moms living the dream!

Natalie said...

Oh, thank you so much Sarah! It's always nice to keep in touch with the BYU artists I already know, but it's even more fun to meet ones! I'm so glad you visited!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin