Thursday, February 16, 2012

Solar System

When I was younger, it was very clear in my mind that I would teach my children about the solar system. It is something that has always fascinated me and I loved learning about the planets as a child.

Before I was married, I created a solar system mobile with my nephew so he could enjoy it as much as I do.  It's been several years, but I still had some left over supplies from when I made the solar system mobile with my nephew and I decided to create one as a Valentine's gift for my little boy.
This mobile was fun for me to create, but I absolutely loved my boy's reaction when he turned on his light and saw it for the first time!

I created the mobile with:
-10 small styrofoam balls
-newspaper (to make some of the balls bigger)
-colored tissue paper
-modge podge and glue to make a paper mache mixture for the newspaper and tissue paper
-wire
-glass beads
-wooden dowels, string, thread
As a side-note, I did include Pluto.  Pluto has always been a favorite planet and I was sad to hear of it's demotion.  Also, the solar system books I have are old enough to list it as a planet.  

Do you still consider Pluto a planet? What will you teach your child?

1 comment:

Cathy said...

It will be great if this model wil be use as my visual aid. Love it! Thanks for sharing. See also family tree template charts to trace your family heritage.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin