Thursday, September 13, 2012

ART WITH KIDS - The Beginning of Something Great

So I have been an "official" artist for seven or eight years, and three and a half of those years I have been a mom too.  Sometimes being a mom seems to take precedence over being an artist, especially because I stay at home with my kids and I don't have any solid art jobs (like gallery representation, etc). Most of my day seems to be filled up with menial chores and tasks that have to get done. While I find a lot of accomplishment in being here for my boys -- like when they wake up with sleepy faces, play games with them, cook them waffles, and watch them as they grow-- sometimes the days go by and I feel like, "I haven't gotten anything done!"
 
 Painting with my new baby - Nov 2011

Right after I graduated, I had the opportunity to meet up with one of my most favorite professors.  During the exchange, my professor asked, "So, are you just painting all the time now that you're done with school?"  I was a little taken aback.  No. I was a mom to a one year old. I was surprised that I finished school at all, let alone turned in all of my assignments, and school was the only reason I was able to paint as much as I did.  My life was pretty different than my professor's, since they didn't have any children at the time.

That thought has stayed with me, and sometimes it gets me down that I'm not painting all the time, but to everything there is a season, and right now, nurturing my kids is at the top of my priority list.  The best news?-- I can take every opportunity to teach them about art and my love of art and the beauty in the world around them.

So, with these thoughts, I'm starting a new series: ART WITH KIDS, I'll be sharing my experiences with being a mom and an artist, and how I balance both responsibilities.  Feel free to ask questions and share your own experiences.

Here is my little baby. You can see my "studio" on the kitchen counter with him eating nearby.  Hey, I'll take any time I can get to paint!
Painting while baby eats - Sept 2012

And here are a few links of previous posts about being a mom-artist:
-Homemade Christmas wallet with a toddler
-Baby likes to watch me paint (2010 edition)
-Painting with my new baby sleeping on the same table as my paints
-First post about being an Artist-Mom

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin