Wednesday, September 26, 2012

On Making Goals

Still working away.  I love this fun star painting I did.  It doesn't seem like I'm accomplishing much and, the truth, well... I'm not. That's the give-and-take of being a mom. At least I'm doing a little bit with the little time I get.  When I do something creative with my spare moments here and there, I've found that I feel a lot more "myself" than when I lounge around.  I've known from when I was pretty little that goals drive a lot of what I do.  If I didn't have some project keeping me going, I think I would be a huge, depressed bump on the couch.

Because of this, I have taken several large, tangible goals on myself this last year. I'll share a couple of them with you:

1. Illustrate at least 2 children's books.  I'm almost done with one, and pretty decent with the other, and another not even close to being done. I think I'm doing well on this goal)

2. 50 Stories in a Year.  This was a more recent addition to my goal list. I started this one in July.  I'm working on a single sheet sketch of a short children's story each week with a few drawings. Most are horrible, some are okay.  All of my stories are made up spur-of-the-moment-style when I'm telling my boy a bedtime story. Then I go back later to write it down and make a few drawings.  Because of this, I get about 3-5 chances before I run out of time to write down a story- and it helps weed out the awful or repetitive ones.  I don't want to spend too much time on this goal, just something to get my brain working outside of art.

3. Spend 1/2 hour on art each day.  This is probably the most difficult, but I think I'm doing pretty well.  I can't dedicate more than a half-hour, but this is where the give-and-take comes in. Some days are none, some are more. Over all, I work on art most days, and that's pretty good.

And then some less tangible goals:
-finish another children's book that's in progress with someone else
-create some online classes for my website
-organize an art class for local students
-get my art stuff from storage

How about you? Do you have specific goals that keep you moving forward? Or are you more of the free-going artist?

A snippet from one of the books I'm working on:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin