Thursday, September 6, 2012

Textured Typography

 I create quite a few textured paintings, whether they're typography based or not (like this Boston piece I did last year) and I really LOVE how they look. I love the 3D quality of the piece and the added opportunities it allows me for personalization and texture.  I won't go into great detail, but I first saw this method on a blog by one of my very favorite artists, J. Kirk Richards.  You can see the video here.

1. First, I sketch out what I'd like it to say, and then I cut it all out with an Xacto knife.

 2. Then I adhere the paper to the board. Usually I use clear acrylic matte medium, but I ran out, so I just used regular acrylic paint.  It doesn't give me the initial depth I get with the matte medium, but it was okay for this project.
 (it's really hard to see the cut-outs in the white-on-white, but it's there)

3. Then I add depth to the painting with layers of paint in different colors. For this piece, I used all really pale, neutral colors.

 4. Add some gold leaf.  Maybe a little too much gold leaf...

5. Cut back on the gold leafing and add some more layers, and I'm done!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin